Tapes to be made public on Wednesday
9:40 am
Tue December 3, 2013

Conn. prosecutor drops bid to withhold Newtown 911 recordings

In this December 14th, 2012 file photo, officials stand outside of Sandy Hook Elementary School, where gunman Adam Lanza open fire inside the school killing 20 first-graders and six educators at the school, and killed himself as police arrived. The Associated Press says it sought the 911 recordings from that day in part to examine the police response to the shooting.
Credit AP Photo/Julio Cortez

Danbury state's Attorney Stephen Sedensky III led the investigation into the Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting. He says he will not appeal a judge's order to release 911 recordings from the December 14th shooting.

Sedensky had argued that releasing the tapes in this case could harm survivors who deserve special protection and that it would make people reluctant to call 911 for fear of having their cries for help later broadcast by news outlets.

A Superior Court judge ruled last week that Sedensky did not demonstrate why the calls should be exempt from public information laws in a case brought by The Associated Press.