Gov. Dannel Malloy at Union Station in New Haven, CT announcing substation upgrade. Behind him (L to R) are U.S. Sen. Richard Blumenthal, Lt. Gov. Nancy Wyman, CT DOT Comm. James Redeker and U.S. Rep. Elizabeth Esty.
Credit Naomi Starobin
Connecticut Governor Dannel Malloy said work is beginning Monday on an upgrade to a substation in Cos Cob, Connecticut. The $10 million upgrade is expected to improve the operation of Metro North’s New Haven line trains.
Connecticut Department of Transportation Commissioner James Redeker says it would cost at least $3 billion to upgrade infrastructure needed before trains on Metro-North railroad can go faster. Politicians and business leaders argue the investment would help the state's economy and ease traffic woes.
Connecticut Governor Dannel Malloy says he's received a report from Metro-North on actions its taking to address concerns about its safety practices and infrastructure. The governor had asked for the report earlier this month following train derailments in Connecticut and New York, as well as a power failure and the death of a track foreman in West Haven.
Regular train service resumed on Monday between Connecticut and New York City, almost two weeks after a power failure caused Metro North's New Haven Line to operate at nearly half its capacity.
Some are asking how the system was so vulnerable that a failure on a single power feeder line could cause such a problem. WSHU’s Craig LeMoult took a look at a gamble that was taken by the MTA, and what went wrong.