The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation has approved the town of Islip's plan to clean up 50,000 tons of toxic debris that was illegally dumped in Roberto Clemente Park in Islip last year. It was laced with asbestos, pesticides, and other toxic material.
The Long Island town's plan to clean up the park requires digging up and removing all the debris and then sampling the soil at the end to confirm the contaminants have been removed. The town will also install wells to monitor groundwater.
Officials on Long Island hosted a public forum Wednesday night to update residents on the illegal dumping at several Islip sites. State and local health officials were present to answer questions on potential health risks.
Suffolk County District Attorney Tom Spota announced Tuesday he is investigating the possibility of more illegal dumping sites in the town of Islip that may contain hazardous materials. Spota says it’s possible the new sites are connected to the dumping at Roberto Clemente Park where 32,000 tons of asbestos-laden material was dumped.
The Long Island town of Islip said Monday that the air around Roberto Clemente park in Brentwood does not contain asbestos. Air sampling was necessary after officials found 32,000 tons of illegally dumped material there that did contain asbestos. There is now a criminal investigation underway and the issue is also becoming political.