Gov. Dannel Malloy at Union Station in New Haven, CT announcing substation upgrade. Behind him (L to R) are U.S. Sen. Richard Blumenthal, Lt. Gov. Nancy Wyman, CT DOT Comm. James Redeker and U.S. Rep. Elizabeth Esty.
Connecticut Governor Dannel Malloy said work is beginning Monday on an upgrade to a substation in Cos Cob, Connecticut. The $10 million upgrade is expected to improve the operation of Metro North’s New Haven line trains.
Metro-North is undergoing a lot of changes these days, from a new president to infrastructure and safety improvements sparked by last year’s derailments. But the rail company’s overhaul has caused delays and service disruptions that is stoking commuters' frustration.
Issues facing Metro-North railroad were the focus of a public hearing on Wednesday. Members of the Connecticut General Assembly's Transportation Committee voiced concern about recent incidents, including two derailments, a power failure, and the death of a track foreman.
James Redeker, Connecticut Transportation Commissioner, right, stands by as Governor Dannel Malloy, second from right, speaks about a Metro-North service disruption at a press conference at Grand Central Terminal in this September 26th file photo.
Connecticut Governor Dannel Malloy says he's received a report from Metro-North on actions its taking to address concerns about its safety practices and infrastructure. The governor had asked for the report earlier this month following train derailments in Connecticut and New York, as well as a power failure and the death of a track foreman in West Haven.
U.S. Senator Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut and Charles Schumer of New York say the Federal Railroad Administration only has enough funding for 1% of the safety measures they say are needed to make trains safe.