Connecticut Department of Transportation Commissioner James Redeker says it would cost at least $3 billion to upgrade infrastructure needed before trains on Metro-North railroad can go faster. Politicians and business leaders argue the investment would help the state's economy and ease traffic woes.
Regular train service resumed on Monday between Connecticut and New York City, almost two weeks after a power failure caused Metro North's New Haven Line to operate at nearly half its capacity.
Some are asking how the system was so vulnerable that a failure on a single power feeder line could cause such a problem. WSHU’s Craig LeMoult took a look at a gamble that was taken by the MTA, and what went wrong.
The board of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority voted on Tuesday to offer commuters on Metro North’s New Haven line a refund to compensate for service difficulties since a power outage on the line last week.
MTA Chairman Tom Prendergast told board members that he considers the current power failure a one-off event, in terms of its magnitude and duration.
Troubles on Metro North have continued into a second week, but officials say things should be able to return to normal by next week. MTA officials estimate service should be fully restored by Tuesday, Oct. 8. Details on the power restoration from Con Edison are online here.
Commuters faced another day of aggravation on Metro North Thursday following a loss of power for the trains, and it’s not yet clear when things might return to normal. Some train riders took things in stride, but that will likely become more difficult if the problems continue for weeks.